Wednesday, January 26, 2011

clothing in india


i almost forgot a really fun event of today. during our adventure near the synagogue, which is the most touristy place on the island, i got a comment on my milo in maine fish t-shirt. in front of every shop (and there are lots of them) there is a man harassing you to come in and take a look; they all have different methods. complimenting is my favorite. one man in front of his shop looked at my fish t-shirt and said: "I like your shirt, fish! you cook (slight pause) and then eat!"

this evening we went to the "teapot," which was a semi-touristy tea shop. we ate samosas with masala chai and i had an additional coffee. the coffee was yet again weak and kinda strange; maybe this is what southern indian coffee is like? anyways the tea makes up for it. then we were on the hunt for some ice cream and found another semi-touristy place. zoe had a deep-fried banana with ice cream and i had a coffee with ice cream. that concluded our bizarre dinner.

afterwards we went to listen to indian classical music. it was northern style, which was a sitar and drums. the music was great and i think the person in front of me fell asleep. i found it great to meditate and let the mind wander. apparently there are over 100 different kinds of drums just with inside kerala.

benson just made the awesome list. benson is the owner of the place we are staying at, which I would recommend to anybody (costa gamma.) i think benson made my night. when we returned from the music he was standing on the fount porch with his buddy who picked us up from the train station two days back. benson complimented zoe's salwar kameez, then looked at me and asked where my indian clothes were. i laughed and then told him i was working on it. i really am interested in indian clothing. benson recommended a local tailor and the amount i should pay ($1.60-$2.00.) he added that he would also show me how to wear my new clothes once i got them, which would be so great because i am clueless.

i mentioned after this exciting news that zoe was really wanting to learn how to wear a sari. he replied: "oh, i'll get my wife to come over here tomorrow to show her how."

tomorrow should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment