Thursday, March 1, 2012

Makin' Art

VoldemortOwl
I drew these guys on the inside of the pellet stove window in the ash. Just practicing some relief artwork. Anyways, the one on the left is Lord Voldemort calling for Potter and the one on the right is just an owl. Voldemort is pretty terrifying with the fire lit face. 

Below is a photo of some Native American pottery I like. I have to recreate a historic piece (pre-1900's, although these are much older,) with the only requirement that it has to be 18 inches tall. What I find fascinating is how much cross over between my classes of hand-building ceramics I, cultual ecology, religion and nature, and philosophy 100. The all share the same exact question: why?

Native American Pottery


Well if you are wonder why these pots have no flat bottoms to sit on it is because when you live a nomadic life you don't haul a table around, therefore getting rid of the need to set a pot straight up. I will have to make a stand of some sort since one requirement is it stands...

As I experiment with clay I am still shocked at how much I use and how much it shrinks as it dries out and again when fired. Clay is a very bizarre material from the standpoint that it has so many different levels of textures and strengths. It is literally a different material every hour you work it. First it starts out as mushy as mashed potatoes if you start with the really soft stuff, then to dough, stiff dough, cheese, and then leather which is the point when you no longer have to worry about gravity much. I tired working it a little beyond the leather stage but it really cracks after that point. It is then dried out until it is very hard, fired once, glazed, and fired again. Easy right?


I also pledged to Delta Delta G today, a.k.a. the geology club. It was pretty awesome. The two professors running it dress up in robes. Also, half dozen students dress up in some "interesting" costumes of protective geology equipment for playing with lava or something and more mystic style as well. The older professor handed me a 40 onze beer known as "The Holy Beer" which has roamed the halls of the school for several decades now, it must be pretty disgusting at this point. I then placed my hand on a massive piece of petrified tree and pledge: "I will never kick a rock."

Delta Denta G Mascot
(Notice volcano in background)

Delta Delta G!

The geology club mostly makes pet rocks and organizes trips to Death Valley, some Mid-West locations, Hawaii, New Zealand... and a couple other places, but basically one big trip per year. Too bad I am not a geology student, although I am happy to be part of their ironic club.

The rock versions of the people of Bailey Cabin made by Sierra

People Rocks

1 comment: