Sunday, September 11, 2011

Finding the observatory

The storms have passed for now, but their clouds still linger. It has been a full moon or at least close to a full moon for the past few nights. I want to look at the stars but the brightness of the moon and the partial cloud cover greatly reduce my chance of seeing anything.


100_4547


At last I found the observatory at the top of the mountain. I joined the astronomy club the other day at taste of 'wick (please change your name for next year, please!) I also joined the psychology club and the the Hill Top news paper. There was no radio stand but I have a feeling my persistance will get me in soon.


100_4555


The following morning of the discovery of the observatory there was a town wide garage sale that shut down Main Street and required a band. Yes, required.


100_4558


100_4561


Oneonta has some of the greatest and most diverse amount of architecture I have seen in a long time.


100_4563


100_4565


100_4571


This was painted almost overnight for 9/11. While it's not the message I expected to be painted on this wall it is a great statement. 9/11 is so much more personal here than in Maine. This evening there was a candle light ceremony with people crying very hard. There is a lot of mixed feelings about 9/11 here. Many of the students from New York City feel the decade mark is the sign to move on but not to forget.


100_4574

1 comment:

  1. hey, oneonta looks cute! and you won't believe how excited i am you are joining the astronomy club. but as for architecture, wait till you see MY neighborhood. :)

    ReplyDelete