Tuesday, September 6, 2011

At school, now what happens?

I finished Awakening! Yes. That awkward name is in fact the title of the pre-orientation course I took. The idea of the course is to get freshmen to bond before college starts. The setting is an offsite campus in the wilderness known as Pine Lake (a glorified but decent size pond.) About 60 students of this college can choose to live on this campus which is a 20 minute drive from the rest of the school. One would expect that the people living there to be a bunch of crunchy kids studying the environment but it turns out that every major is represented.


I was in group 5, known to most as "Cinco." There was approximately 68 kids (originally 72) divided into 6 groups with the male/female ratio at less than 1/3. Our group was fairly "functional." 


The final challenge was the high ropes course where I was blindfolded and mute with my buddy Sam (who was not blindfolded or mute,) and we climbed the giants ladder together. The giants ladder is about 30-40 feet tall and consist of 5 bars or steps that start out 4 feet apart and end up around 6.5-7 feet apart. When you're at the top you ring a bell signifying you completed the course. That was the moment when I took my blind fold off revealing how high I was off the ground, my fear of heights is greater than I originally believed.


100_4509



100_4517



Anyways, the blur of Awakening lead straight into the "Hartwick Welcome Weekend." The staff kept us super busy for four days straight leading up to the first day of classes. Mud volley ball was definitely a highlight (of many!) of the weekend.


100_4526

Sam is the one truly covered in mud in this photo, he was the one who climbed the giants ladder with me. He takes classes here and at the state school across town to become a certified EMT.

100_4528

My dorm is comfortable, my roommate is great, the food is alright. This is it, this is where I live, notice the coffee corner. I find the 60's woodwork charming.

100_4533

100_4536

No comments:

Post a Comment