Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ceramics Internship

During January-term I have been interning with a potter named Siem van der Ven at his studio up in northern Maine. It has been a lot of work, mostly pugging clay, making glaze, trimming, glaze testing, cleaning, throwing, sanding, and waxing. It has been a really serious internship that I have enjoyed a lot. Siem challenged almost everything I said which was both uncomfortable but fascinating as it usually resulted in expanding my understanding or definition of a concept.

Simon van der Ven's studio

Simon van der Ven's studio.

Simon van der Ven's studio.

Improving...Loading the kiln at Simon van der Ven's studio.

One of my favorite cups by Siem:

One of my favorite cups by Siem.

I managed to meet up with Autumn Cipala, my teacher from last spring who introduced me to clay in a hand-building class. There are so many potters and artist in general on the northern part of the coast of Maine it's almost ridiculous  After much contemplation I believe it is because there is such interesting light and natural beauty, as well as some decent conditions for an artist community. I'm sure the flow of tourist in the spring and summer to boost sales does not hurt either. There really is an art scene going on in Maine, I wish to see it develop further and hope that I can contribute soon.

This is my current studio.

My current studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment