Friday, July 6, 2012

Dr. Max

It turns out I have the highest medical training in the group -Wilderness First Responder, or another way to think of it is I have half the training of an EMT. However, there are major differences, my training is based for medicine in the wilderness, so I'm trained to make do with little or no medical tools or medicine. Also, its fairly "rough" medicine. By that I mean I am trained to know what to do when peoples intestines fall out, not so much along the lines of cosmetic issues, but I still have treated some rashes.

So far on this trip I have had to bring one person to the hospital for food poisoning in combination with heat stroke. I have also treated a bunch of minor issues like skin infections, insect bites, and more heat issues. A lot of it is waiting it out, people's bodies react when brought to new environments. Later on I heard that 18 out of the group of 30 last year had diarrhea.

One of the difficulties I did not expect to deal with is the Chinese believe 100% in Chinese medicine. During the food poisoning/heat exhaustion Yifa ordered the Chinese medical treatment of pinching this guys neck until it bruised -it put him in a lot of pain. Apparently it wicked the heat out. I asked for it to stop but Yifa ordered it to continue, so they did. The pain kind of distracted him from vomiting. I told the individual that he could ask for it to stop, he didn't, so I figure it was best to let this one fly by.

We got him to the hospital and everyting was okay. I feel some pressure now being the group medic. Later on somebody passed out at a temple due to the heat, luckily there was a doctor at the temple who took care of them.

I hope nothing really bad happens, but I suppose I'm ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment