Sunday, July 1, 2012

Shanghai

I flew into Shanghai with no reservations of any type with two days to kill. The women who were in charge of find tourist places to go at the airport basically had it with me, especially after I tried to write on a businesscard (forgot about that one! I definitely know better.) I recalled that a few other people in my program which started in two days mentioned on facebook they were staying open at a hostel. I cracked open my lonely planet (but not so lonely routes,) and sure enough the hostel was in it.

It was fairly easy to find using the subway, and when I arrived they had some bunks open in the dorm rooms. It was about $12 a night and pretty clean. I found a few other people in my woodenfish program and walked around town with them a bit, but they became jetlag, so eventually we headed back.

Shanghai is a fairly insane Chinese city with American, French, and British archetecture scattered all throughout the skyline. It's a prtty weird mix to say the least. It's also a pretty nutty city. Walking the Bund was interesting/intense too. It's a walk next to the river, on oneside is all the old French and British buildings, and on the other is all the modern Chinese skyscrappers. Tons of people wanted photographs with us, and it got old quick. After that we escaped to a shopping district of sorts (it was within walking distance,) which was a total zoo with packed streets.

Boat on the river in Shanghai

Tea House

Tea House

Mao on the Bund

Mao


In the evening I walked to the Jing'an Temple (below) near my hostel.

Jing'an Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment