Tuesday, August 10, 2010

the most useful thing to know while traveling

is by far, knowing how to cook.

It is something you can trade with anybody.

For example: "Hey I'll come over and make you dinner, want to stop by the market ahead of time?"
I think it is hard to say no to that. When you think about it most people have a kitchen, dinning room, or some place to sit outside and eat. It is probably the most universal room in a house besides a place to sleep.

Thank god I took a few cooking classes before I left, plus everything my parents taught me. So far I have been lucky, each meal has turned out okay or great! I have learned a lot, sometimes I get taught a little on the job about Catalan food or just general tricks.

One night at the bakery I made pizza from scratch, my hands were too messy to take pictures. It was really great pizza, I think everybody enjoyed it. Haun helped with making the dough, I went out back and got some tomatoes and made some sauce. I got a little more dough than I expected, so the pizza was about 24"x18", luckily it cooked all the way through.


It's hot, I can expect the 90's almost every day. I pass this dog 2 or 3 times a day when I live in Salas. He never lets me pet him, but he's friendly. One day it was scorching. I turned on the spicket, he began to lap water right out of it. The locals came over, unhappy that a dog was putting its mouth where they get their water-sometimes (the all have running water). They tried to call the dog away from it, but the poor thing was dying of thirst, it didn't listen. I continued to let the water run, then washed my hands right under his mouth, pretending it was normal. Finally the dog and frowning locals left.

It is easy (and useful sometimes) to pull off the "stupid/I don't know what your saying/American look". I am starting to understand listening to spanish. I usually know whats going on, except when it's really fast.

1 comment:

  1. hey, you are right. bringing along ideas/recipes/etc is such a good way to make connections to people. i hope you are continuing to do this at ecodharma, or that you will be able to once you get to your next destination. i miss you lots! i spent like three hours today on hindi rosetta stone and it got me so excited for india. also, i came across this article and i thought you might enjoy it if you haven't already read it: http://www.indiamike.com/india-articles/8_the-india-confusion/

    ReplyDelete